Sunday, January 26, 2014

Trains, Planes, and Automob…errr…Mounts?



Intro

Perhaps not the greatest title to define what this blog entry will encompass, but it has some underlying meaning.  It is no surprise that I play WOW for one reason and one reason only, to raid.  All else in game is truly just a big pile of fluff to me.  Mounts, pets, pokemon, PVP, questing, gold farming, professions, etc. all of it has no meaning to me and gives me little to no happiness to participate in them. I will do some of the aforementioned list in the name of raiding.  E.g. PVP for legendary quest line, rep grinding Black Prince rep, or rep grind for an item to make me a better raider.  Some of my guild mates claim I think and say everything not raiding in WOW is just “stupid”.  Perhaps to some degree they are right and I am just in some sort of denial.

Raiding

So, what the hell is about raiding that makes it so appealing even after 9 years of playing this addictive game that might as well be my crack cocaine?  For one, I love how it has evolved.  From 40 mans in vanilla to the succinct 10 man in MoP and soon to be back up to 20 mans in WOD.  I love it all, I loved 40 mans at the time, loved 25 mans at the time, loved and love 10 mans now, and will love 20 mans when we get there.  Add to that this new Flex model and I am hooked.  I do need to make one caveat, I do hate LFR and I know that is categorized as raiding, but it’s a huge pile of poo.  Toxic and mundane and a means to get some gear or some items you may need for a quest line.  I want LFRs to diaf.  Number 2, I love the social aspect to raiding.  The vent conversation, the hijinx, and the general social interactions within a raid just make it that much more appealing.  This is probably why LFR falls grossly short of something enjoyable to me.  The trolling and awful gameplay make it nauseating to participate in and then no true social interaction minus venomous raid chatter.  I can only hope in WOD I no longer ever have to run stupid LFR.  Number 3, the strategic nature of raiding and the dependence on 9 or more other player to properly execute to get a kill.  That aspect of the game is thrilling and gets my blood pumping.  There is a great inner feeling I get when we down a heroic boss.  It just feels good to conquer a heroic boss with a bunch of other people using good teamwork and strategy.  Number 4, it is just plain fun.  If it wasn’t fun I wouldn’t play this game, though if I could roll it into a joint and smoke it I probably would just do it or maybe freebase it.  What the hell am I talking about….

5 Mans

I should say I do like 5 mans as a means for gearing up with pre-raid gear.  They sucked in MoP as they got too easy too fast, but were awesome in early Cata when the 5 mans heroics felt like 5 man raiding to some extent especially in greens and blues.  I hope Blizz gets back to more challenging 5 man content and gets rid of the stupid scenarios or at the very least, add them into the LFD system. 

World BG PVP

Not sure what else to call it, but I liked the Wintergrasp PVP model and the one after it to some extent.  Not sure why I did, but sometimes it was fun to queue up and win then go run those raid bosses for some loot.  To me, way better than the world boss model like we have now. 

Conclusion

I wonder if some of our younger guildies or younger people even know the movie title I titled this blog post after.  I guess I am getting older and what I think is mainstream/classic is not even in the realm of knowledge of people perhaps 10 years younger.  Or maybe they are just stupid.  ;)  Jk….

No comments:

Post a Comment